- Whole Wheat Bread or Sandwich Bread – 8
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – 1/4 Cup
- Sliced Green Olives – 4 (Optional)
- Red Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1/2
- Yellow Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1/2
- Green Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1/2
- Onion – 1 small sized
- Olive Oil or any Oil- 1 tsp
- Grated Garlic – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Mixed Italian Herbs – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
Time to Prepare: 20 min
How to Make Open Grilled Veggie Sandwich:
- For the Sandwich Topping:
- Cut the tri-colored Capsicum / Bell Pepper into short thin strips and finely chop the Onions. Keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a non-stick pan (to achieve good results for caramelize of Sugar, always use non-stick pan). Add the sugar to the Oil and allow it to caramelize (turn golden brown in color) for 2-3 minutes. Then use wooden spatula to mix well with the Oil.
- Now add finely chopped Onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add grated Garlic and mix well with all the ingredients. Then add one by one colored Capsicum / Bell Pepper like Green, Red and Yellow cut in Step 1 and saute on a medium flame for 5-6 minutes by stirring continuously with the help of spatula.
- At this stage, add Salt, Mixed Herbs, Black Pepper Powder and mix well and saute on high flame for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the flame and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions (one each for the 8 bread slices).
- Sandwich Preparation:
- Once the toppings are ready, place a Bread slice on a plate. Spread the topping evenly on the Bread slice and sprinkle the grated Mozzarella Cheese and few slices of Olives. I did not use Olives to prepare the Sandwich, still the Open Grilled Veggie Sandwich turned out very tasty. Repeat this procedure for other Bread slices.
- Bake the prepared Bread slices in a pre-heated oven at 200 degree C for 5 minutes or till the cheese melts (As per Tarla Dalal). But I used Microwave Oven to bake the Bread using Grill Mode of Microwave – preheat the Oven for 3 min.
- Arrange the Bread slices on a high rack grill (at a time 2-3 slices can be arranged) and bake all the slices for 6-7 minutes or till the Cheese melts. Repeat for all the Bread slices.