The Superman Pose is similar to a flying superman high in the air. This is where this yoga posture gets its nickname.
viparita = inverted/ reversed; shalabh = locust; asana = pose/posture
It is pronounced as Vip-a-RHEETH-uh shah-lah-BHAAHS-uh-nuh
This posture is particularly helpful in strengthening your lower back muscles.
How to do Superman Pose?
- Lie on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor; chin resting on the ground.
- Keep your legs close together with your feet lightly touching each other.
- Now stretch your arms out to the front as far as you can.
- Take a deep breath in and now lift your chest, arms, legs and thighs off the floor. You resemble a flying super hero – Superman! Spread the smile on your face – superheroes are always happy, especially in flight. Rather than making an effort to raise your hands and legs more, make a gentle effort to stretch your arms and legs away from your torso. So, feel the pull that is occurring at both ends. Ensure that your elbows and knees are not bent.
- Keep breathing with awareness; keeping your attention on the stretch.
- As you exhale, gently lower your chest, arms and legs.